I’m always looking for healthy ways to start my day off right, so when some good friends of mine shared this recipe with me I jumped all over it! This ultimate pancake is lean, clean, protein packed and gluten-free. Needless to say it’s become a staple breakfast at my house ever since. I’ve made some modifications over time but this breakfast fuels my body and keeps me going without the pangs of hunger that I typically feel by 9 am.
This recipe makes one ultimate pancake. Here is what you need:
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. Chia
- 1 tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Bran
- 1-2 heaping spoonful of organic Greek yogurt (any flavor)
Mix everything together in a bowl and preheat your pan to medium low heat.
To prevent the pancake from sticking to the pan I strongly suggest 2 things:
- This is not a sponsored product promotion but I would definitely make this recommendation to anyone regardless. Get yourself a Green-Lite Frypan!!!! If there’s one thing your kitchen needs it’s a ceramic non-stick fry pan. Green-Lite uses a patented technology called Thermolon™ to make their non-stick ceramic coating. Thermolon ceramic is a PTFE free alternative to other non-stick surfaces like Teflon. I’m not going to get into PTFE in this post but essentially it’s pretty yucky stuff that you don’t want to risk ingesting.
- I have weaned myself off PAM and use butter for cooking. For one PAM scares me because I don’t really know how it’s made or where it comes from. And for another, nothing is better than eating the real thing, as in real food and not margarine or PAM or non-fat products. It’s also important to not use oil sprays with the Green-Lite plan. They contain a mixture of additives that makes the spray oil burn at lower temperatures and messes with the ceramic surface. Not to mention that when oil burns it releases carcinogens, which is not something you want to eat for breakfast or any meal for that matter.
There are tons of ways to get creative with this recipe. Here are some of my favorites:
- A dash of really good ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 thinly sliced organic banana
- 1 handful of organic blueberries
- 1 handful of organic raspberries
- 1 handful of crush walnuts
When adding fruit I recommend pouring the batter into the pan first to avoid clumping!
Top with some fresh organic fruit and organic 100% pure maple syrup or a dollop more of organic yogurt and enjoy! Organic is the word of the day if you haven’t noticed.