We LOVE spice, We LOVE Mexican and We LOVE Breakfast so why not mix it all together and call it Spicy Mexican Breakfast Tacos!?!
This weekend’s gluten free breakfast recipe is spicy, healthy and has AMAZING flavor! Here’s how you make ‘em…
Spicy Mexican Scrambled Egg Taco Filling
- 3 eggs
- Splash of milk
- one tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 green pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- ½ small red onion
- Mrs. Renfro’s Habanero Salsa
- Taco seasoning (follow no salt homemade taco seasoning recipe below)
- Cotija cheese crumbled
- Sharp cheddar shredded (optional)
- Mission brand Gluten-free soft tortillas
No Salt Homemade Taco Seasoning
Blend together the following dry ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1) First dice up your onion and roughly chop your pepper. Then dice up the jalapeño but be careful not to get the oil from the seeds on your skin.
2) Crack the eggs into a bowl and add in the taco seasoning. For perfectly fluffy eggs try this trick – add in a splash of milk. Doesn’t really matter what kind, 1%, 2% or whole milk will work, even heavy cream if you are feeling naughty! Now scramble it all together with a fork.
3) In a medium low heated ceramic non stick pan melt a tablespoon of butter and saute the onion, pepper, and jalapeño. Then add in the egg mixture and continue stiring. Eggs will be ready in about 5 minutes.
4) Lay the Mission Gluten-Free Tortillas on the open flame of your stove top burner for a couple of seconds on each side. The exact version of Missions’ gluten-free yellow corn tortillas that I bought is not listed on their website but it does exist because I just bought them.
5) To serve, place the gluten-free corn tortilla on a plate and top with the scrambled eggs. Add another shot of flavor with some spicy salsa. I love Mrs. Renfro’s Habanero Salsa but they have a ton of other salsa flavor combos that are less spicy and equally delicious. Add the Cojita cheese and/or cheddar and you’re done.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Makes 4 tacos